Friday, March 2, 2007

Website Makeover

Oh, the agony of a novice that is trying to figure out PHP and Mysql. I'm not a programmer and I didn't go to school to learn computer languages. I'm like most web design learners. I just want the site to look good and navigate well. And that ain't happening. The myriad of templates and tutorials is making my head spin. I can't believe how many templates and CSS files I've created. I just can't make up my mind and pick one to work with and redo the entire website. Maybe I should use all the templates and all the CSS files since the site has so many different places to go.

One of our colleagues who does websites very well is Matterhorn Marketing. He has created a ton of sites for Eastern rafting companies. His sites all look good and navigate easily. Why can't I just let him take over our site? I know he'd do a great job and I know I could finally relax a bit over here. He could take over our internet marketing and I could go on vacation for the first time in years... wha' up wit dat? Why not?

The thing about letting anyone else do your website is mixed up in a realm of ego and control. Will the site be hosted on their servers? Will the files be part of my website or hosted somewhere else? Will I get the template files, the header files, the CSS files, the PHP files, the graphics, the footers, the blah blah blah blah and on and on... and what hidden scripts will be lurking in those mysterious places that only a webmaster knows? Sigh... I'm telling you, this has been the toughest decision ever.

And yet, while the other rafting companies' webmasters are busy optimizing, we're sitting here procrastinating. And guess what, we still haven't made a decision on which way to go, and our first rafting trip is in two weeks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Betty, somehow just came across this comment and wanted to take a quick moment to respond. Instead of using email, thought I would answer you right here to possibly benefit others in the same situation.

First, thanks for the compliment! We take pride in providing usable sites to our clients, that work....and rank.

I wanted to take a moment to answer your questions, not pitch for your business.

Your concerns are valid, especially in light of the fact that there are a number of amateurs that present themselves as pros.

You can recover from a bad design....however it is tough to recover from bad SEO.

My advice, ask for references, call companies you are considering and ask about their experience with their Internet service provider.

Web development, design and marketing companies that are interested in being in business for the long haul are not interested in running anything on your site without your knowledge.

I have seen some unscrupulous SEO firms place hidden links on clients pages, however true professionals do not do these types of things.

Professionals have to maintain happy, successful clients for their own business to continue to be profitable.

Your success, your profitability, your positive experience is paramount to the our success as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Pat Strader
Matterhorn Marketing
www.matterhorntips.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/matterhornpat