Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rankings - SEO

Rankings are dropping... geesh, I wonder why... I can't seem to concentrate on SEO anymore. I haven't optimized or cleaned up pages in a while. Haven't even updated some of the '06 stuff... I'm bored. The challenge of keeping the site fresh is daunting. Daunting because the site is just too big, now. I do admit that I am slowly cleaning up the code on our more important pages, but it is really, really boring. Several templates have been designed in anticipation of re-doing the entire site. But honestly, blogging just seems so much easier. The content is always fresh. The information is always timely. Some of our rankings in keywords are still high on the search engines, but, it seems that the whole search thing for me doesn't seem quite as important as it was a few years ago.

This is a good year to step back and re-evaluate where we would like the rafting website to go. There are a lot of ideas in my head. Some are "old-school" marketing techniques that can be applied to the internet and others are very contemporary and new.

There are a lot of resources on the net providing businesses with templates for their websites. But even after customizing them, they all look the same. And the designers that create fabulous looking websites don't care about SEO at all. They just care about the beauty and the bells and whistles. As a creative person, my tendencies are to look towards an artful way of presenting our information. The only problem is that the code prevents the ranking. So, W.E.T. just keeps plugging along... we're trying to balance both.


Our team bloggers have taken over the main California rafting blog, while I seem to write more about the business itself. It's what currently dominates my thoughts.

No comments: